20 November, 2013

Favorite world cinema - 1

Watching movies is more than a passion to me. An obsession may be? lol. I love watching movies that make me see things from a new perspective. Watching movies is like an exploration to me ; meeting new people, understanding different issues and experiencing new culture. Yes, I love watching movies from different countries and languages which I dont even know how to speak/read. Thank God we have the subtitles option. :D

I watch movies very frequently, like almost every day after wrapping up my daily house chores as it helps me unwind after a busy and tiring day. So far, for this month, these are my favorite movies from the world cinema ; in no particular order. [ and no, this does not include Hollywood movies :) ]

1. Udaan (2010)


This INDIAN movie is a great work by the writer as well as the director and all the cast.

{a young boy returns home after being expelled from the school; his father is a very strict fellow; the young boy has dreams of becoming a writer but the father doesnt approve of it. So who wins then? :) }

The story starts off pretty interesting and all the performances by the young lot are very appreciable. Towards the end of the movie, I was quite confused as to which side should I take: Rohan's or his father's? but eventually, I understood what was missing from the father's personality and felt happy for the Rohan. I think its a must watch to understand the intricacies of the human behavior and relationships. I gave this movie 8/10 stars.

2. Jagten (2012)


This is by far the most scary movie which can not be put under category of "horror"!

{a divorced middle aged ex-professor works in the kindergarten; the young daughter of his friend, merely 5 or 6 years old, develops a *crush* over him and after being lightly scolded by him, accuses him of child molestation; the series of events that follow are very horrific which will make the viewer cringe! }

This movie is a master-piece! This plays with your intellect and motions in a way that's unexpressable! You can not quite bring yourself to hate the little kid, but at the same time, you can NOT forgive her for her stupid childishness. This is a kind of movie that will resonate in your memories (if you are a deep thinker like me) and make you feel scared as well, in a way... This is DENMARK's official submission to the Foreign Language Film category of the 2014 Academy Awards. Keeping my fingers crossed! :) My rating: 8/10.

3. Celda 211 (2009)




This SPANISH movie is a great action/crime/thriller. The performances by the lead actors are praise-worthy. The movie is pretty violent so its not for the faint hearted :P

{ a new inmate at the jail gets trapped in the riot where the occupants take control of the prison; luckily the brutal prisoners don't know that he is not among them, but for how long? }

This is a very straight forward movie which lets you peek in the world of criminals and keeps you engrossed throughout the movie. Although I was hoping they end the movie otherwise but I think it was the only possible realistic approach to present to the audience. Watch it when you are in mood for watching something brutal (commonly called as action or crime) and be ready to feel sorry for some unfortunate events. My rating: 8/10.

4. Caché (2005) 



This FRENCH movie is my all time favorite crime/mystery/thriller and of course, it was a re-watch. :)

{ a family starts receiving letters or rather distorted drawings from an unknown person; the drawings make the husband very disturbed; but why? does he have a hidden past or any mistakes that he committed? }

The cast includes two of my most favorite actors: Juliette Binoche and Daniel Auteuil. Its a very good drama which focuses on human mind and the games that it has the capability to play. This is the kind of movie which keeps you on the edge of your seat and keeps you guessing what's gonna happen next. The absence of background music also adds to the mystery feeling of the plot. After the movie ends, you are free to make your own interpretations of the ending. One of the best movies that the French cinema has to offer and a very fine work by Michael Haneke. My rating: 9/10.

5. Spirited Away (2001)



I am short of words to praise this JAPANESE animated masterpiece! This is Miyazaki's one of the finest creations.

{a little girl loses her parents as they are turned into pigs by eating something awful; thus starts her surreal journey into an unimaginable world to free her parents, with many interesting characters that depict mystery, greed, compassion and a whole spectrum of attributes to wow the viewer! }

This movie is super-fun to watch! very light if taken from one perspective and very dark if seen from the other. I didnt realise the *dark* side of it as I did not decipher its hidden dark symbolism; and I would rather not see it that way ever. I would always like it to be a mysterious journey of the cute little Chihiro along with some other cute characters like No Face, Boh and Soot balls... what a memorable and enjoyable experience! No wonder it won the Academy award for Best Animated Feature. :) My rating: 10/10. yes it a rare thing to happen! :D


Hope you enjoyed reading my ramblings about my favorite movies. What are your favorite movies? Let me know as I am always in search of good recommendations. :)


- images are taken from google. I dont own their rights. No intellectual property infringement intended whatsoever.

37 comments:

  1. ♥Super here with you!
    Would you like to observe? ♥ ☑
    ♥Follow me - let me know - and I'll let you observe! :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear!
    Following you already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i also want to see all of them :)

    http://myglossyaffair.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inviting you to join my $30 certificate giveaway
    http://www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com/2013/11/dressale-30-certificate-giveaway.html?m=0
    Keep in touch,
    www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, will definitely check it out :)

      Delete
  5. Wow! What can I say? ... intimidates me!
    Great post! I congratulate the ability and talent to curiosity to me!
    I will always be coming back for more: *


    Regards,
    Katherine Unique

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post!!! would you like to follow each other with GFC and Bloglovin?
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your visit! I follow you with GFC and Bloglovin!!
      Have a nice day!!!:)))

      Delete
  7. Great Celda 211 with one of my favorites actors who don't want to go to Hollywood :)
    Kisses from Spain, Kela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was some great intense acting in celda 211 :)

      Delete
  8. Movies are an obsession of mine as well. I haven't seen any of these and I think I must check them out next time I'm in the mood for a flick. Of course I'll return your follow (; Best, CD. icantaffordmylifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sure these are good movies and i'm sure you'll enjoy watching them :)

      Delete
  9. What an awesome idea. I've only seen Spirited Away and even that completely by coincidence :)
    Thanks for stopping by :) xx

    Maja
    http://modern-muffin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really, great list. :)
    -Ru
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gte3BoXKwP0

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog. Would you like to follow each ohter? - it would be fantastic;)

    Love
    Minnja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Of course I followed back :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. Following back on GFC #53
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seja bem vinda! ;)

    Ótimo sábado!

    Beijo! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello, okay?
    how beautiful your blog
    'm from Brazil.
    (Excuse the English, to learn) Laughter
    I love your blog
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks alot for your sweet comment! :)xx

      Delete
  15. I love a good movie, too! I struggle one people ask me what my favorite movie is because I feel like I have a top 5!! There are too many good ones to choose from :)
    www.amemoryofus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. soo true Darcy! i also find it very difficult to tell a single favorite movie of mine :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for such sweet words, I thought no one would notice my bare face ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd rather prefer another kind of films, to be honest!!
    BTW thanks for following me. I'm following you back on GFC too!
    xoxo
    Patricia

    http://misstoptenimage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahan...thanks for your comment and welcome :D

      Delete
  18. Spirited Away is one of my favorite movie :)
    Greta

    http://insidetheselect.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe you wanna try to watch 3 IDIOTS movie too, it's also I think Indian from Bollywood :)
    New post on Smize With Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes I have seen it...and I found it quite entertaining! thanks for the recommendation though ;)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my post. I always reply back, sooner or later. :)
If you wish me to visit/follow your blog, you only need to ask! Just leave your blog link in your comment and I'll be happy to increase my circle of friends. :)
Have a blessed day!
xoxo